Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Some boobs for thought.

Sigh.

I'm just wondering when tits and ass became like - totally mainstream. I'm sure many of the participants in these covers were told it would be a good career move to flash and pose, and perhaps even some of them sing songs about how in control they are and their various permutations of empowerment.

But really - their bodies are for sale; just the cost of the magazine. And let's be honest - it's for the blokes.

http://gofugyourself.com/fug-the-cover-rihanna-03-2011

I am embracing my inner nanna, and wrapping my cardigan tightly around my shoulders as I scorn these covers. They are in really really bad taste and they are not empowering at all. Let's at least be honest.

There was a possibly a point in time where it could have been argued that women were calling the shots about how their bodies were used and when (and maybe even having some influence over the context) - but I think that time has moved on. Now people don't bat a false eyelash - these images are commonplace and the perception of the female body is at a low low point.

Where to from here? A regression to wild conservative times? When things can't get any more open or 'free', how do humans keep pushing forward into new realms? (And no - Lady GaGa has broken any new ground, she has just used slightly more odd accessories to offset her naked ass).

For my mind at the moment, I'm just wondering how to explain to a young girl that what seems normal is in fact absurd. Not easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment