Monday, May 16, 2011

Mucus and a bun.

I know I should be studying, but the last abstract had equations in it, so it lost me at (I). A part of me feels betrayed by journal articles like these ... I didn't sign up for mathematics! Just as I have been on the run from Excel for years in the workplace ('I just thought it would work better as a Word table'), I too bid a hasty exit from the vaguely mathematical when it pops up in my social sciences context.

Oh the essays are a big heavy burden at the moment. If Amazon doesn't deliver my books tomorrow, my scratchy essay is on a one way track to being a big messay. And that's just the one due this week. As for the others, but a remote thought at the moment. Remote but close. More study seemed like such a good idea at the time ....

The whole fam is sick at the moment, we are all covered in each other's mucus. It's absolutely disgusting.
Although I could barely see on Sunday due to puffy runny half-closed hayfever-ravaged eyes, I did catch the late afternoon light bouncing off the little snot trails all over the doona that our little lady had left throughout the course of the day. Linen change: essential. When the hell do kids learn to blow their nose? It's not one of the milestones you really give much thought to but gee it matters. Because until then - it is unregulated mucus flow. When the poor little one wakes after a whole night of runny nose - the sight is alarming/remarkable and requires lengthy attention to remedy. I've given up trying to explain it is for the collective good ('it' being me and the constant tissue hovering around the baby nose) and now resort to the more straight-forward (but emotionally fraught) pin down and restraint. The girl can kick.

And speaking of little people - we have another one on the way. Never been a better time to expand the brood! I'm sure I'm not the first person to note the difference between the first and second-subsequent pregnancy/babies. This time around, life is not stopping so I can put my feet up, demand a massage and read some more preggers literature. Life is going on, as it always does and our no. 2 little creation is very very quietly doing it's thing in the background. Baby names, pram brands, car seats, etc etc ... the baseline knowledge is there and it's already been done. It's kind of nice, different, but more relaxed. Definitely has made me realise how truly unique becoming a parent for the first time is - it's a massive ride that I am only now able to look back on and see with some perspective. Am so glad that I have made the adjustment now, and I understand the deal. No need to ask that my loved one refrains from alcohol as a show of 'support'*, just have to insist he breathes in a different direction when he does. No need to expect the rest of the world to be pregnant too - it isn't, and it doesn't matter. No need to insist on my own space in these last precious moments before the baby is born - that was surrendered last time around and I now I want to share stuff with my gang (except showers - the audience of two in the ensuite while I shower "..I just followed her in here" is probably one example of me still needing some space). No need to expect lots of pregnancy sympathy on the homefront (as I have learned that it is best to present a stoic collegiate front, and this will warrant sympathy I pretend I do not want/need - it's all about adapting strategies!). In sum - it feels much easier, and adding to the gang is giving both of us big warm fuzzies.

And finally - I can't believe Australia is arguing about a Carbon Tax. It's a no brainer.
We are part of the world.
The world is running out of stuff.
We have a lot of stuff.
We are rich enough to tax it.

I really hope this one doesn't get ballsed up!

*We say 'support' but really we mean 'shared misery'.

No comments:

Post a Comment