Thursday, June 14, 2012

Onto the plane we go.

Trips can take weeks in the planning.

Or you can do it in an hour, as I have done this time around. So today, my people, we fly!

The kids and I are headed to Sydney, I need to give my friend a big big hug and share some tears with her as she grieves for her Mum. It will be great to just get there and see her.

In the meantime however, I have to grapple with more immediate priorities. The plane ride to Sydney as a single mother with a baby and toddler. In truth, the only thought in real circulation at the moment is how can I possibly get out of this?


The slightly rushed frenzied way we are leaving has forced me to tie up a few administrative loose ends that I had mentally scheduled to do over the next week. It's amazing what one can achieve when there are not endless aimless days in compound land to fill. One morning can result in incredible efficiency.

I've distributed cash like I've won big in Vegas, debts are clear! I've stocked the fridge and cupboard for  weeks ... for the man of the house you ask? Well, no. For our haus meri who we of course ensure is well stocked and comfortable in our home, while we are away. Hmmm ... yes another day of the picture looking slightly whack to me.

Me to her as I am rushing out the door to tie up my loose ends: "Are there any urgent things you need from the supermarket over the next few weeks?"

Her (musing for a moment): "No, just get me some bleach."

Me: "Okay"

Her: "And get me some Chicken Tonight."

Me (a brief pause, scrambling to make a list, which seemed necessary all of a sudden): "What flavour do you like?"

Her (again, musing): "Oh, I don't know. Just get me any."

And so it happens that on this particular departure morning, I found myself in the supermarket isle grappling over whether to get lemon mustard, chicken tikka, or apricot chicken Chicken Tonight for my haus meri.

Solution: throw money at the problem and buy them all.


No comments:

Post a Comment