Sunday, September 25, 2011

The cost of your new flat screen


Lately, through my studies and as a result of simply looking out the window - it has started to dawn on me that those who pollute the least seem to have to live amongst the worst environmental conditions. It is just so bloody unfair.
Last night's Dateline on SBS exposed the growing trade in Ghana of the illegal disposal of international electronic waste. I must admit, this is something I have never thought about much. Living in a country like Australia, I simply assume that when I decide to upgrade my laptop, my old one gets recycled correctly by ... well ... someone else, who knows how to do it. But of course - I really have no idea where it goes.
The truth of the matter is that a percentage of disused computer monitors, hard drives, televisions and other electronic items from Australia somehow wind up in shipping containers bound for Ghana, where they are either repaired and resold (at least someone is bothering to do our recycling for us, properly), or burned if they cannot be reused. The toxic fumes and smoke from the waste yards is thick, dangerous, and unregulated. Kids rummage through the waste to resell whatever scrap metal they can. 
This is true globalisation.
Someone in the burbs gets a new flat screen TV, puts the old one out on the front lawn (someone else will deal with it for me), and unbeknownst to them - it is bound for Africa.
Forgive me for thinking that this is absolutely insane.
Something I found particularly distasteful was the honest admission from an Australian recycler that Australian charities are vulnerable to the illegal network of waste disposal. They receive a huge amount of unusable, broken electrics (thanks, citizens for confusing your local charity with the tip), and not being able to process/accept these things - take the first offer they receive from someone willing to take the stuff off their hands. 
Sometimes - the offer is from an illegal e-waste exporting network. We can hardly blame the charities.
Honestly, I don't know what the answer is. We are so entrenched in our culture that is very hard to shake up the individualistic paradigm. But shake it up, we must. Our households are not private secure spaces that belong only to us, they are filled with goods made somewhere else, and everything has a story. Our actions and choices have causal effects, rubbish may be out of sight (ours), but that doesn't mean it has actually been disposed of.
I was glad to hear that the Department of Environment has responded to this report by launching an investigation into how these goods are leaving Australia illegally. Australian Customs said they did not have the resources to undertake the necessary checks on all goods leaving Australia. Fair enough, but we seem to have no problem finding the resources to thoroughly scope out all goods coming into Australia (people, included). 'Not my problem' - at the highest level. 

No comments:

Post a Comment