Friday, October 28, 2011

Red and green.

I always thought I would need a bit of a re-entry period on Australian roads after spending two years driving up and down the same roads at an average speed of 50km per hour in PNG. And even in my seemingly unacclimatised state, I understood that driving at that speed everywhere in Australia would not be the right thing to do.
So, to blend in and drive like my countrymen, I have been doing the full speed-limit, even though it terrifies me. On the odd occasion that I have been between 0-5 km under the speed limit, I have had a helpful bonnet up the ass of my car to remind me this is simply not done. Thanks Canberra drivers.
This, I expected.
What has surprised me somewhat though, is that I seem to have lost comprehension of traffic lights. I would happily sail through a red if it wasn't for terrified passengers screaming at me to stop. This, I also know is a 'shortcoming' in my general driving skill set. I'm more big-picture when it comes to lights, and am usually concentrating on something five blocks ahead.
This, I also knew about myself (on a deeper level that I rarely explore honestly).
Two days ago, I came to a full stop on approach to a green light, and stayed there while the light remained happily green. I think I was trying really hard to take each set of lights as they came, and not overlook important messages.
This is new.
And not very good.
Unbelievably, there was no concerned citizen sitting behind me screaming soundlessly from their 80 thousand dollar Commodore as there so often is. Again, it was up to my passenger to alert me to the green-ness of the light.
I carefully accelerated and proceeded to the next set of lights, in a bit of a state.
My Mum has now told my daughter to help me at the traffic lights. Thanks team.
Only a few weeks ago, it was me teaching her about the meaning of red and green. In a few short days I have lost any credibility I may have had, and now sit back and take tutorship from the one who knows best.
At least I know my limits.

No comments:

Post a Comment