Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The cycle of life.

My beautiful funky wonderful friend AG sent me a sad email today to let me know her Dad died. She has been with him over the last few weeks and spent every last moment with him, including the last.
I remember when I was younger thinking that the death of a parent would probably be easier to handle once you were older, or had your own family. Now I am not so sure.
Your parents are so many different things to you over a lifetime, they age with you and alongside you, and sometimes end up becoming the grandparents of your kids. When this moment happens - they rejoice at zero parental responsibility and lots of wonderful moments with gorgeous young people. And you - somewhere in the middle of two generations has a whole new perspective on your parents and how amazing they were to get you as far as they did.
To my friend AG - my heart is sad for you and I am so sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment