Monday, September 27, 2010

It's a Family Affair

Just back from 3 nights of power in Brisvegas (why do we call it that?) with our fam to celebrate Miss E's first birthday. What I have learnt - Miss E is very loved. Likely she will need at least one sibling at some stage to alter her world view ... ie. learn to share universe with another. For now though - it must be absolutely lovely to have 5 cameras on you at all times and presents and adoring crowds at every port. She is one lucky lady.

On the way back we were caught up in the Virgin mess. Where was my chance to do a vox pop for the commercial TV networks?? I saw some 'angry customers' on the news last night when were back in Moresby and oh how I wish I had my time in the sun. People are so silly/extreme sometimes, no? I heard phrases such as:
... opportunity of a lifetime lost,  .... but for some it was too late, ... never been treated so badly in my life, ... call for compensation, ... national disaster ...


Phrases that I did not hear:
 ... a little bit inconvenient but I suppose I did only pay 80 bucks for my ticket .. oh well thems the breaks .... not much we can do about it .... at least the staff are trying their best ... it's absolutely hilarious ... i'm actually kind of glad this happened because i didn't want to go to work tomorrow ...

Journalistic bias, or are all budget travellers expecting just a teeny bit much? I hear charter planes are quite convenient and usually you don't have to share them with 1000s of other people. There are also trains and buses and cars available in this great land we call Australia.

I will concede however, that the delays were sufficiently bad for our flight that even the Papua New Guinean nationals were over it. I think it is fair to say that things in PNG as a rule are S-L-O-W - so yes - it was an inconvenience and a lot of people were annoyed.

Personally - I think Virgin should have just got their mits on that lovely little Ben Lee ditty "We are all in this together" and played that on loop until crisis was over. That would have made everyone much happier!!

No comments:

Post a Comment