Thursday, September 16, 2010

Peeling back the layers.

Favourite quotes of late from my haus meri:

"Tomorrow is our PNG Independence Day. You should do your shopping. It is not your culture but all the ladies will have their boobies out. This is our culture."

What choice did I have but to take Emerald and my camera? Sigh ... we must have been served by the only 4 check out ladies in all of PNG who were completely uninterested in my baby. Asking for a photo just didn't seem right.

Recently when our friend from Buka visited she brought us some funky little woven bags and baskets. As I pondered aloud what they were known as by the local people my haus meri popped her head around and enlightened me:

"Excuse me - it is called 'basket'."

The bleedingly obvious reminded me of my first trip to the local produce market where I found myself marveling at the many different types of potato. With a few varieties in my hand I asked the nice lady what the best way to cook them was ...

"You boil them."

Oh ok ... great ... I then went on to asked her what you did with them after that, how best to season them, what to eat them with etc etc.

"You eat them."

Right. What was I thinking? A subtly seasoned gratin???

No comments:

Post a Comment