Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Hills and me.

Well, not everyone can say Hillary Rodham Clinton has driven past their house.

I can.

Her motorcade went one way into Town (not a general place, but actually a proper noun for the Port Moresby CBD) and then it came back about 55 minutes later. Off she goes! On her way back however I was ready to count cars.

So many ... I think I got to 29 before I realised I was counting the actual traffic. It was dark, I struggle with distances at night and I suppose at some stage the red and blue flashing lights of the mighty USA somehow morphed into the vastly more common flashing-for-no-apparent-reason hazard lights of a beaten up Toyota Sunny.

In any case, I can say for sure there were at least 15. And as they sped through the SVS Harbourside roundabout, past the local park, the group of seriously dedicated Christians that have been camped there for the last 3 or so nights marking some important time in the Church year kept singing and pounding that little PA system for all it was worth. I wonder if they even turned around.

Two worlds definitely collided for a minute or so tonight in the little view from our bedroom window.

Bye-bye Hills! Hope someone remembers which order/direction all your cars go in to get back on the plane.

No comments:

Post a Comment