Thursday, August 4, 2011

Beep beep!

I realise that tales of odd driving behaviours in foreign lands are a dime a dozen but ... I am going to add to the pile anyway.

This morning I was speeding along the freeway, smugly overtaking all manner of under-performing vehicles on the big hill (including the fuzz), before I reached the crest and had to slam on the breaks. My speed was quickly reduced to 40 km p/h due to insanely slow moving vehicles in both lanes - not unusual in these parts. Slightly more unusual however, was the fact both cars had slowed down to enable the drivers to communicate. I think they were really angry with each other. It was rush hour. These guys didn't give a hoot, however. One hand was angrily pointing a fist out the window, while the respondent reached up and over his roof to respond in kind.

What I liked about this exchange (aside from the fact there appeared to be no guns involved and it was just a good old-fashioned freeway tiff at 40 km p/h) was that one of the guys popped his hazard lights on when he realised how much traffic was building up behind him. Indeed, it was a hazard! His very own self-made hazard.

After we had passed an exit and they had moved into one lane (the fast lane) - so that everyone could overtake them (from the slow lane), they pulled over. Were they seeking a more fulfilling type of combat? Best to never really know, I remain happily ignorant.

No comments:

Post a Comment