Monday, July 11, 2011

A shocking realisation.

So I have found myself walking around a number of markets in the last few days. Cash in hand, I have had a desperate desire to buy big, buy anything, and buy hard. Every time however, I have returned to base (where Daddy-O awaits with pram in one hand and cocktail in the other) empty-handed. Why? Because I don't feel like buying cheap crap. Why? Because I am in my mid 30s and I suddenly prefer small art galleries, designer one-offs and interesting local stuff that doesn't smell like plastic that will probably kill me in 10 or so days. I am shocked. Without markets, I have nothing. I have spent years trawling markets in Asia to shower myself and others in wares that I have spent hours bargaining for, and now? Now, I am headed straight to the food area to see if I recognise things I have tried to cook from David Thompson, or to simply buy and eat anything green and pandan flavoured.
Sigh. Perhaps I have just reached my natural limit for knock-offs and stuff that lasts one wash. What's the point, really?
A final postscript: My most recent attempt at overcoming the very real lack of interest I seem to now have in tourist markets was a quick bulk purchase of multiple table runners earlier this morning. If you have a birthday coming up soon .... you might get lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment