Sunday, July 3, 2011

We heart Singers

Well well.

What a difference an extended period away from the compound makes. Daddy-O has taken to daytime TV, we are eating out around 8 times per day, the kid is asking to go to cafes every hour, and we are enjoying walking around hand in hand in the free world.

Singapore is a wonderful bounty of public order, cleanliness, great food, diversity, green spaces, architecture and cheap taxis. We are basking in it. The order, efficiency and did I mention order - of this place is something I want to squeeze tightly and never let go of. Neat taxi queues, defined pedestrian spaces, no rubbish, the punctuality of the whole machine and the responsiveness of the people who answer our endless calls for room service is a true joy. Singapore is Asia without the chaos, yet with all the food and waving gold cats you could ever need.

It's our guy's 31st today and being on the go has somewhat hampered my ability to prepare birthday celebrations. While he took a moment's respite on the 2m high king size bed, I readied myself and the little person to go downstairs and organise a cake/candle combo to be delivered to our room later tonight. As I was about to step outside, the doorbell rang with 3 nice men bearing a birthday cake. They politely requested my permission to come inside and sing Happy Birthday. As they passed me I whispered to one of them how they knew ... it was 'on their records'. And so the cake was presented to the weary man on the bed with three strange men singing to him, we joined in for the harmony and then they were gone. It was difficult not to accept the credit for the gesture, but alas I was beaten.

That's the Singaporean way - efficient beyond belief.

No comments:

Post a Comment